Jo Roszkowski works in a variety of media including ceramics, textiles, encaustic, mixed media and painting. As with all of her creative output, this body of current work is inspired by the forms, colours and textures of nature, in particular the unseen layers and the ephemeral details that form the greater universe. The ongoing engagement with these elements and the immediacy of the techniques evokes the changing nature of the natural world while providing homage to the fleeting elements of seasonal and generational change. In particular the painting medium has provided an opportunity to explore layers of meaning; what is hidden and what is revealed. At this time of global crisis there is also evidence of a conversation going on between the land and humanity.
Time must pass. A chemical transaction must occur. Patience is vital. Mystery breeds curiosity. The results are largely unpredictable. Anticipation breeds excitement. The work explores a seductive cycle of inspiration, reaction, response and result.
Jo is a Melbourne based artist who has studied photography, visual arts and arts therapy. She was selected for the Bayside Artist in Residence program at Billilla in 2016, and for the past two years has been an artist in residence at Kingston Arts. Her work has recently been exhibited at Altman Gallery, No Vacancy, G3 and the Wyndham Art Prize. Her work is included in the Benetton art collection Imago Mundi as well as other private and online art collections.
Art Edit Magazine – Spring 2017 edition
Bayside Artist In Residence brochure
Exhibition at BACC
Looking Down Under – Contemporary Artists from Australia in the Imago Mundi Benetton Collection, Italy.
Wellbeing magazine issue 178.
Tertiary & Post Graduate study
- RMIT Photography – 1985
- Bachelor of Education – Visual Arts – majoring in Sculpture & Photography, Melbourne University, Institute of Education – 1989
- Graduate Diploma in Art History & Film Studies, Monash University – 1995
- Steiner Teacher Training, Melbourne Rudolph Steiner Seminar, Warranwood – 2005-08
- Masters in Therapeutic Arts Practice, Miecat, completed in 2019
- Precious – Group Show, Kingston Arts Centre 2006
- Brighton Artists’ Society 2008
- Buda Textile Prize, Castlemaine – 2012
- The Sketchbook Project USA – 2010/12
- Bayside Library – 2012
- Imago Mundi Benetton Collection, Italy – 2016
- Tribe Tuesday – Brave Intuitive Painting – 2016
- Exhibiting Artists Melbourne, Scugnizzo – 2016
- Bayside Artist In Residence, Billilla – 2016/17
- Common Threads, G3 with Juliet D. Collins – 2017
- Ceramics at BACC – 2017
- Her Unique Magic, The Age Media Gallery – 2017
- Artist in Residence, Kingston Arts Centre – 2017
The Artists’ Process, Kingston Arts G1 + G2, November, 2017
Art Edit Magazine, Spring Edition, 2017
Member, Craft, 2017 – 18
Wellbeing Magazine, December 2018
Wyndham Art Prize, 2019
Bayside Artist in Residence, Billilla – 2016 – 17
Kingston Arts – Artist in Residence – 2017 – 19
Kingston Arts – Banner exhibition, 2019
‘Flesh’, No Vacancy Gallery, Melbourne, 2019
Women of the World LinkedINNYC, South Art Dealer, New York, 2020
Art to the Heart, Meat Market, North Melbourne, 2020
Volition, Incub8er, Prahran, 2020